On your initial visit, the dentist will perform a complete dental examination. On subsequent, regular, check-up dental exams your dentist and/or your hygienist will include:
- Examination by your dentist of diagnostic radiographs (x-rays) to evaluate tooth and root positions and to detect any decay, bone loss, tumors and cysts.
- Screening for oral cancer by checking lips, tongue, gums, throat and other tissues for any signs of oral cancer.
- Checking gums and bone around the teeth for an evaluation of gum disease.
- Examination of the surfaces of all teeth to check for tooth decay, using special dental instruments.
- Checking existing restoration surfaces for chips, cracks or other damage, including fillings, crowns and bridges.